Electrical Home Safety Check

Electrical safety testing is vital.

Make certain your home or workplace is 100% safe and efficient.  Watts Up can visit your premises and complete a exhaustive electrical safety check in one hour. Our inspectors are fully qualified and trained. We will thoroughly assess your premises, ensuring everything is safe and in efficient working slide-green-wattsupmstrorder that will not pose any risk to anybody.

A building warrant of fitness is extremely important and electrical testing is required to prove your property is electrical safety certified and ensure the safety of operation.

Watts Up can also assist with LIM report inspections.

Call Watts Up if you have:

  • Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • Discolored or warm wall outlets.
  • A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance.
  • Flickering or dimming lights.
  • Sparks from an outlet

Sockets and Switches

  • Are all sockets, switches and multiboxes working properly with no damaged or broken plugs, sockets, light switches or light fittings?
  • Are all sockets and switches cool to the touch?
  • Do all electric plugs fit snugly into the sockets?
  • Have you installed safety devices such as RCDs, shuttered sockets and recessed outlets?
  • Have you limited the number of appliances plugged into one outlet, so as not to draw too heavy a load on the circuit?
  • Do you have only one heater per outlet?

Cords

  • Are all electric cords in good condition, with no cracking or fraying in the outer cover or any internal wires exposed
  • Are all extension cords used for temporary purposes only? If not, Watts Up can install a socket-outlet where needed.

Fuses and Circuit Breakers

  • Do you know what’s inside your electrical service panel?  Fuses and circuit breakers protect an overloaded electrical circuit by interrupting the flow of electricity, but there are many variations that offer different levels of protection. Watts Up will help determine what you have in your home, and whether or not you should consider an upgrade.

Lighting

  • Check the wattage of all light bulbs. Does the wattage of the bulb match the wattage indicated on the light fixture? Overheating can lead to a fire if the wattage of the bulb is greater than indicated on the fixture.
  • Check all lamp, appliance and extension cords. Shock or fire hazards can result from damaged cords or improper use. Are cords in good condition (not damaged or cracked)? Do not attempt to repair damaged cords yourself. Take any item with a damaged power cord to an authorized repair outlet. Are extension cords being used only on a temporary basis? Extension cords should not be used to provide power on a long-term or permanent basis. Have additional receptacles installed to provide power where needed. Are your extension cords properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor? Do they meet or exceed the power needs of the appliance or tool being used?
  • Check wall outlets and light switches. Are all outlets and switches cool to the touch? Unusually warm outlets or switches may indicate that an unsafe wiring condition exists. Do you hear crackling, sizzling, or buzzing from your outlets? Call Watts Up to identify the cause. Do you have small children? Consider installing tamper-resistant receptacles to prevents hairpins and other small objects from being inserted into the outlet.
  • Check portable heaters. Are heaters placed at least three feet away from things that can catch fire, such as curtains and bedding? Relocate heaters at least three feet away from all flammable materials. Are heaters placed on a flat, stable surface and placed where they will not be tipped over? Heaters should not be placed on top of furniture, or in high traffic areas. They may become a fire hazard if tipped over. Do you turn your space heaters off and unplug them when you leave the room or go to sleep? Space heaters should never be left unattended when they are in use.

Kitchen 

  • Check all countertop appliances. Are all appliance cords placed away from hot surfaces? Pay particular attention to cords around toasters, ovens, and ranges. Cords can be damaged by excess heat. Are all appliances located away from the sink? Electrical appliances can cause a shock if they come into contact with water. Are all kitchen appliances plugged into GFCI-protected outlets? GFCI outlets can help protect you from deadly electric shocks.
  • Check all large appliances. Have you ever received even a slight shock (other than one from static electricity) from any of your large appliances? If so, do not use or touch the appliance until it has been checked by a licensed electrician. Are the top and the area above the cooking range free of combustibles like potholders and plastic utensils? Storing these things on or near the range may result in fires or burns.
  • Check for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, or GFCIs. Are the kitchen and bathroom outlets protected by GFCIs? GFCIs should be installed in kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas where water may come into contact with electricity. If you have GFCIs installed, do you test them regularly? GFCIs must be operating properly to protect against electrocution. Test GFCIs monthly to ensure they are in working condition.

Garage/Basement

  • Check your electrical service panel. Every home has a service panel that is equipped with fuses or circuit breakers that protect against overloads and fires. Is your fuse box or circuit breaker box appropriately labeled? Proper labeling makes it easy to identify what circuits power each room in your home. Are you regularly resetting tripped circuit breakers? Circuit breakers that are constantly tripping indicate that the circuit is overloaded or that other electrical hazards exist. Consult Watts Up if uncertain.
  • Is your home protected by Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCIs)? Combination-type AFCIs replace traditional circuit breakers in the electrical service panel, providing the most advanced electrical fire protection available. Ask Watts Up if your home would benefit from AFCI protection. Test AFCIs monthly to make sure they are working properly.

Bathroom

  • Check Small Electrical/Personal use Appliances. Are small appliances, such as hair dryers and electric razors plugged in when not in use? Water and electricity do not mix! Unplug and store appliances safely when not in use. Are they in good condition? Pay particular attention to erratic operation and damaged wiring or other parts. If you have any GFCIs, do you test them regularly? GFCIs must be operating properly to protect against electrocution.
Contact Us

Tags: